Sore Throat Home Remedies
Natural Cures for Sore Throat
This page focuses on sore throat home remedies - using herbs, homeopathy, and aromatherapy to as natural cures for sore throat.
There are different possible causes of sore throat; the most common ones are common
colds and the flu. In most cases, a sore throat is not a serious health problem and will usually go away within a few days. However, if your sore throat lasts more than
a week and is accompanied by any of the following symptoms, it may be a sign of something more serious and you should go to see a doctor:
For sore throats or throat irritation not accompanied by the above symptoms, sore throat home remedies can effectively be used to alleviate the symptoms.
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- A high fever (over 101°F in babies or over 103°F in older children and adults)
- Tender or swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Pus or white patches at the back of the throat
- Skin rashes
- A cough that lasts longer than two weeks
- Bloody phlegm
- Sore throats that get better but keep coming back
Sore Throat Home Remedies - Herbs
Quite a few herbs can be used to make effective sore throat home remedies. They include:
- Licorice: Licorice soothes mucous membranes, enhances immune functions, and is effective in soothing sore throats and relieving coughs.
To soothe a sore throat, try drinking licorice tea (made with one teaspoon of dried root per cup of boiling water). Licorice and its extracts are safe for normal use
in moderate amounts (up to about three cups of tea a day.)
NOTE: If you have high blood pressure, do not use this herb.
- Marshmallow: Marshmallow contains a special gelatinous fiber, mucilage, that soothes mucous membranes and helps protect them from bacteria and
inflammation. This herb has been used traditionally to treat sore throat and cough. You can get this herb in tincture or capsule form, or make a tea using three teaspoons
of crumbled root in a cup of boiling water.
- Slippery elm: Slippery elm has been used traditionally for sore throat. Like marshmallow, it contains mucilage, which coats the throat and
relieves irritation. To make a tea, mix 2 teaspoons of the dried herb in two cups of water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. You can either drink
the tea or use it as a gargle.
- Honeysuckle: The Chinese have long been using honeysuckle flowers to treat sore throat, colds, flu, tonsillitis, bronchitis and pneumonia. Look
for herbal products that contain a Chinese herbal complex called "Yin Chiao" (made up of, among other herbs, honeysuckle flowers, forsythia fruit, peppermint leaf, and
licorice root.) "Yin Chiao" is very effective in treating sore throats and colds. Follow the instructions of use on the product label.
- Ginger: Ginger is a great herb to use for a sore throat. Make a
drink using fresh slices of ginger, lemon juice, vinegar and honey, and drink three to four glasses a day.
- Garlic: Garlic is a great remedy for upper respiratory problems because it is both antiviral (for colds) and antibacterial (for strep throat).
Try it in tea as a gargle. Alternatively, you can add one clove of raw garlic to 2 teaspoons of honey. Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well and take
1 teaspoon two to three times a day.
Sore Throat Home Remedies - Aromatherapy
If you enjoy aromatherapy, essential oils can be used as sore throat home remedies. Oils that are particularly beneficial for sore throats include:
One fast way to stop a sore throat is to add 3 to 4 drops of Oregano oil to a cup of warm water. Swish it around in your mouth, gargle, and then swallow. Some people do not
like the taste of the oil. If you are one of them, get some gel capsules and put 4-5 drops of the oil in a capsule and take it just when you feel your throat is scratchy
and are coming down with a cold.
Another good way to soothe a sore throat is to make a drink by adding 2 drops of lemon oil, and 1 drop of lavender to 2 teaspoons of honey in a cup. Add hot water to it.
Inhale the steam, and sip the drink slowly.
You can also use the following oils to massage all over the neck area and behind the ears:
- Wild Mountain Oregano
- 5 drops of Chamomile
- 2 drops of Lemon
- 1 drop of Thyme or Peppermint
- Diluted in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil
Sore Throat Home Remedies - Homeopathy
Homepathic remedies are effective sore throat home remedies as well. Choose a remedy that most closely matches your symptoms and follow the instructions of use on the
- Belladonna: This remedy is for someone with a very dry, sore throat and the tonsils are a bright red color.
- Hepar sulphur: This remedy is effective for a sore throat that feels like there is something stuck in the throat. If there is
sharp pain in your throat every time you swallow, you can probably benefit from this remedy.
- Lachesis: This remedy is effective if there seems to be a lump that does not go away when you swallow.
- Kali muriaticum: This remedy is effective for all symptoms of white nasal discharge. If your sore throat is caused by mucous dripping down
the throat and you can see white or grey spots in your throat, this remedy is for you.
Causes of Sore Throat
Natural Home Remedies for Colds
Natural Flu Remedies
Natural Laryngitis Treatment
Duke, J.A. The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook. (St. Martin's Paperbacks, 2002).
Worwood, V.A. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. (New World Library, 1991).
TOP of Sore Throat Home Remedies
|Top 10 Most Visited Pages