Natural Pimple Remedies
Cure Acne the Natural Way
Natural pimple remedies involve the use of herbs, aromatherapy, homeopathy, and other natural supplements - all safe and effective.
Are you haunted by the dreaded red and white pimples of acne? Have you tried all kinds of conventional treatments from topical lotions to prescription drugs such
as antibiotics for acne? Chances are, your pimples are not going away, are they? It is because these conventional acne treatments do not address the deeper root cause.
In addition, topical lotions tend to cause dryness, redness, and sometimes sun sensitivity. Antibiotics kill the "friendly bacteria" in your system, leading to yeast
infections and diarrhea.
The proper way to get rid of pimples is to address the root cause and to detoxify your blood, reduce unnecessary stress, and balance your hormonal
levels. Natural pimple remedies can do all that and more. They are also much safer and effective.
What is Acne?
Acne is the term for plugged pores (blackheads and whiteheads), pimples, and even deeper lumps (cysts or nodules) that occur on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders and
even the upper arms.
Acne affects mostly adolescents; however, adults in their 30s or even 40s can still be affected.
Formation of Pimples and Acne
Our body produces sebum which is an oily lubricant secreted through the sebaceous glands to the skin. This lubricant is necessary to keep our skin supple and moist and to
protect our skin from the elements. However, when an excess amount of sebum is secreted, the oil, mixed with dead skin cells, clogs up the pores. As a result, a red
bump (a pimple) appears on the skin. The clogged-up pores can become infected, resulting in bacteria and yeast overgrowth on the skin, causing skin inflammation.
If the inflammation occurs at the skin surface, the skin will become red and acne pustules will form. Usually acne pustules that heal without progressing to cystic form
leave no scars. However, if the inflammation occurs deeper in the skin, cysts and nodules can form which may result in scarring.
Possible Causes of Pimples and Acne
There are numerous possible factors that can cause pimples to grow. The most common ones are:
- Hormonal Imbalance
Perhaps the most common cause of pimple growth is hormonal change at certain times in our lives, e.g. during adolescence, and for women, before menstruation and in the
early stage of pregnancy. During these times, hormonal fluctuation causes an increase
in sebum production. At the same time, the hormones also cause an increase in the number of sebaceous glands, so there are more chances for pimples and acne to develop.
- Yeast Overgrowth
Candida or yeast overgrowth is another common cause of acne, particularly after
long-term antibiotic use. Antibiotics can destroy the "friendly bacteria" in our system, providing an optimal environment for candida to grow.
- Improper Diet
Diets deficient of certain nutrients such as zinc, essential fatty acids can also lead to acne. In addition, fat, sugar, and processed foods can accelerate skin
inflammation and acne growth.
Natural Pimple Remedies - Herbs
Herbs can be used to balance hormonal levels and to purify and detoxify the blood.
- Burdock root: Burdock is an excellent blood purifier and detoxifier. In addition, it has hormone-balancing properties. It is safe to use for all. You can use
a tincture of the herb or drink the herbal tea of burdock root.
- Dandelion: Dandelion supports your liver and facilitates waste and toxin removal from your system. Use a tincture of the herb or drink the
herbal tea of dandelion.
- Chasteberry: If your pimples are caused by hormonal imbalance, chasteberry is a good herb to use as it has excellent hormone-balancing properties. You can get
a tincture of chasteberry and use it for at least 6 weeks to see if there is improvement. You can continue for as long as it remains effective.
Natural Pimple Remedies - Natural Supplements
- Essential Fatty Acids: EFAs reduce skin inflammation and are effective for treating acne. Take one to 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily, or
as directed on container. Do not expect immediate results though - it may take up to a month to six weeks to see improvement.
- Zinc: Zinc is the one mineral that is effective in treating acne. It works by balancing hormones and promoting skin healing. Use this
mineral under the guidance of a doctor.
- Vitamins A and E: Vitamin A is good for the skin - it reduces sebum and keratin production. Vitamin E can enhance the beneficial effects of vitamina A. Use these
vitamins under the guidance of a doctor.
Natural Pimple Remedies - Aromatherapy
Quite a few essential oils and hydrosols are found to be effective natural pimple remedies.
Some people have reported good results after using hydrosols as a skin toner to treat hormonal acne. (Hydrosols are like essential oils but are milder because they are
in far less of a concentration and therefore can be used "as is" on the skin.)
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil has strong anti-bacterial properties. It is rather potent and should always be used diluted. You can use a
5 percent solution of tea tree oil in diluted water - just apply it to the blemishes twice a day. Before using tea tree oil solution, be sure to test it on a small
area of your skin first - some people may be sensitive to the oil.
- Lavender: Lavender is anti-bacterial and has a calming effect. You can apply this oil with a compress or use the hydrosol (see below).
- Bergamot: Bergamot is an astringent and is especially effective for whiteheads. Put about 5 drops of Bergamot in a vegetable
oil and use a small amount of the oil mixture to massage the whiteheads twice a day.
- the hydrosol of Melissa (Melissa officianalis): Melissa is known for its anti-viral and anti-bacterial effects and is also a great
toner/astringent for oily skin.
- Lavender hydrosol: Lavender is not only calming but can also fight bacterial infection. For added synergistic effects, mix the lavender
hydrosol with equal parts of Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum) hydrosol. Use the mixture either as a skin toner or as a compress on the affected skin.
Natural Pimple Remedies - Homeopathy
Homeopathic remedies are effective natural pimple remedies as well. You need to pick the remedy that best matches your symptoms. Take a low potency (e.g. 30C)
for two weeks and see if your symptoms improve. If there is improvement, stop taking the remedy, unless symptoms return. If you have
difficulty picking a correct remedy, consult a holistic practitioner.
- Pulsatilla: This remedy is for acne brought on by hormonal changes, e.g. during puberty, before menstruation, early pregancy, menopause.
- Ledum palustre: This remedy is effective for pustular acne on the nose and cheeks that feels better with cold applications.
- Hepar Sulphuris: This remedy is indicated if you have pus-filled acne that is painful when touched. It feels better with a warm compress.
- Silica: This remedy is for chronic white pustules.
- Sulphur: This remedy is red, inflammed acne that may be itchy or very sore. Heat or washing may make it worse.
Natural Pimple Remedies - Diet
Eating healthy food is one of the simplest natural pimple remedies. If you suffer from acne, you should eat a simple diet of fresh unprocessed food with lots of vegetables.
Avoid foods that contain high sugar level. Avoid caffeinated products and junk foods.
- Vegetables: You should include plenty of dark-green or orange vegetables that contain beta-carotene in your diet. Beta-carotene can maintain healthy skin and repair
damaged skin. If possible, eat them raw or lightly cooked.
- Nuts and Seeds: To get natural vitamin E and essential fatty acids, eat lots of nuts and seeds (e.g. walnuts, almonds, flaxseeds).
- Fresh Yogurt: If your doctor has prescribed antibiotics for your acne (or other disease), be sure to eat fresh unsweetened yogurt every day to replenish the "friendly
bacteria" killed off by the antibiotics.
Acne in Early Pregnancy
Balch and Stengler, Prescription for Natural Cures, (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2004).
Worwood, V.A. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. (New World Library, 1991).
TOP of Natural Pimple Remedies
|Top 10 Most Visited Pages