Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
This page looks at natural remedies for erectile dysfunction, such as herbal remedies, homeopathy, and nutritional supplements. It also
looks at the common causes of ED, including medications that cause erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction (ED), formerly called impotence, is the inability to attain or sustain an erection long enough for sex in men.
In the past, it was commonly believed that ED was due to pyschological reasons or a natural consequence of aging. However, it is now known that as many as 85
percent of ED-related cases are caused by physical problems. Sometimes erectile dysfunction is caused by a rather serious underlying condition such as heart disease.
Therefore, it is important to seek medical advice because it can be a sign of a more serious health problem.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
While psychological issues can play a part in causing erectile dysfunction, ED is usually caused by some physiological factors, such as a chronic health problem or
the side effects of a medication. Sometimes a combination of things causes erectile dysfunction.
Medications that Cause Erectile Dysfunction
There are a number of prescription and OTC drugs that may cause erectile dysfunction by interacting with a man's hormones, nerves, or blood circulation.
The following shows a list of medications that cause erectile dysfunction together with the popular brand names. It is quite impossible to list each and every brand of
medication so, when in doubt, check with your doctor. Also, if you experience ED and suspect that the medication you are taking is the culprit, do not stop taking
the medication without first consulting your doctor.
Other substances or drugs that can cause ED include recreational drugs, such as alcohol, barbiturates, cocaine, marijuana, nicotine, and opiates.
||Popular Brand Names
||Ativan, Prozac, Valium, Paxil, Xanax, Zoloft
||Most cold, flu, and allergy medicines, such as Benadryl, Dramamine, Axid, Antivert, Phenergan
|High Blood Pressure Medicines
||Inderal, Cardizem, Procardia, Lopressor, Apresoline, Calan
||Pepcid, Tagamet, Zantac
||Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Indocin
|Parkinson's Disease Medications
||Akineton, Cogentin, Artane, Kemadrin, Parlodel, Sinemet
Other Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Other possible causes of ED include:
- Underlying Diseases: Diseases of the lungs, liver, kidneys, heart, nerves, arteries or veins (e.g. high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis)
can lead to erectile dysfunction. So can endocrine system disorders, particularly diabetes.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Hormonal imbalance, such as low levels of testosterone, may also cause ED.
- Psychological Issues: Common psychological issues that can lead to erectile dysfunction include stress, anxiety, depression, fear of failure,
fear of pregnancy, and so on.
- Smoking: Smoking can cause erectile dysfunction because it restricts blood flow to veins and arteries.
- Obesity: It has been found that men who are obese are much more likely to have ED than men with normal weight.
Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
Natural remedies for erectile dysfunction are milder and usually without the side effects that some conventional medications have. However, before taking any
natural remedies or making any changes in your diet or lifestyle, check with your doctor to rule out any underlying physical health problem that may be causing your
Below are some natural remedies for erectile dysfunction using herbs, homeopathy, and nutritional supplements. You may also want to consider other natural erectile
dysfunction cures such as acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine.
Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction - Nutritional Supplements
The following nutritional supplements have been found to be helpful if you have ED:
- L-arginine: L-arginine is an amino acid that causes blood vessels to dilate and blood flow to improve. It is now commonly used
as a natural remedy for ED. Recommended dosage is 1000 mg three times daily on an empty stomach.
- Zinc: Zinc is a mineral that is necessary in the synthesis of testosterone. Zinc should be taken with copper. Dosage is 30 mg twice a day
with 3 to 5 mg of copper.
Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction - Herbs
Herbs also make good natural remedies for erectile dysfunction. Effective herbs include:
- Cordyceps: This medicinal mushroom has traditionally been used in Asia to treat low libido and ED in men. You can get a Cs-4 mycelium
extract of this herb and take 800 mg twice a day.
- Ginkgo: Ginkgo can improve blood flow and is commonly used for erectile dysfunction, particularly ED caused as a result of arteriosclerosis -
a disease that clogs the blood vessels that supply the heart. However, this disease can also clog the blood vessels that supply the penis and lead to erection problems.
You can try a 50:1 extract of this herb. Recommended dosage is 60 to 240 mg a day.
- Oat: Oat is a nervine (relaxes the nervous system) and is believed to increase libido.
- Damiana: This herb is widely used in Mexico as an aphrodisiac. It is believed to improve blood flow to the genitals. Damiana is found in
various forms, including capsule and tincture. Recommended dosage is a 400 mg capsule taken twice a day.
- Ginseng: Panax ginseng (100 - 250 mg two times per day), in rotation with Siberian ginseng (100 - 300 mg two times per day),
can help boost testosterone levels and may improve libido and sexual function for men.
- Yohimbe: Yohimbine is a compound found in the bark of the west African yohimbe tree. This compound has been found to stimulate blood flow
to the penis and increase libido.
However, DO NOT use the raw herb as it causes a lot of side effects, including anxiety, increased heart rate, elevated blood pressure,
flushing, hallucinations and headache. Instead, ask your doctor for his opinion about using a product standardized to yohimbine hydrochloride (e.g. Yocon, Yohimex).
This herbal product should only be used under the supervision of a doctor, and should NOT be used by anyone with kidney disease, heart disease, high blood pressure;
and should be used with caution in the presence of depression, psychiatric illness or liver disease.
Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction - Homeopathy
Various homeopathic remedies can be used as natural remedies for erectile dysfunction. Choose a remedy that most closely matches your symptoms and follow the
instructions for use on the label. It is also advisable to consult with a holistic practitioner.
- Agnus castus: This remedy is for men who have led a life of intense and frequent sexual activity for many years. There may be a cold
sensation in the genitals. Men who need this remedy usually are anxious about their health and may have concentration and memory problems.
- Caladium: This remedy is for men who have sexual interest but the genitals are completely limp. There may be wet dreams without
- Lycopodium: This remedy is for men who have problems with erections because of worry and low self-confidence. They also often
have digestive problems with gas and bloating, and symptoms are worse in the late afternoon and evening.
- Selenium metallicum: This remedy is for men who have diminished sexual ability, especially after a fever or exhausting illness.
They usually feel weak and exhausted, but interest is usually still present. Unusual hair-loss may be present.
- Staphysagria: This remedy is for shy, gentle-natured, quiet men with deep emotions. Their problems with ED often occur from shyness
or an embarrassing event.
Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction - Diet
Eat a healthy, natural, wholesome diet that is high in fiber. Good sources of fiber include fruits and vegetables, nuts, whole grains, and oats.
Also, it may help with your libido if you eat foods that are rich in:
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E dilates blood vessels and improves blood flow. Foods rich in vitamin E include soy products, whole grain,
wheat germ, and leafy green vegetables.
- L-arginine: Some foods that are rich in this amino acid include poultry, pork, dairy products, seafood, nuts, chickpeas, soy beans,
- Zinc: Good sources of zinc include pumpkin seeds, soybeans, sunflower seeds.
Balch and Stengler, Prescription for Natural Cures, (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2004).
Duke, J.A., The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook. (St. Martin's Paperbacks, 2002).
TOP of Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
|Top 10 Most Visited Pages|