Home Remedies for Strep Throat
As strep throat is caused by the Streptococcal bacteria, conventional treatment of strep throat is the use of antibiotics. In fact, very often, doctors will prescribe
antibiotics if you have a sore throat even though it may not be strep. The general fear of strep throat is that it is highly contagious. Also, it might cause complications
if left untreated.
If you are like me who do not want to take antibiotics for every single sore throat, you may want to consider first using some of the home remedies suggested on this page if you
are starting to develop a sore throat. If the sore throat does not go away in two or three days, then you should go to see the doctor for stronger medications.
However, if your sore throat is accompanied by symptoms as decribed here, you should go and
get medical treatment without delay.
Home Remedies for Strep Throat
Home remedies for strep throat include the use of herbs and nutritional supplements to strengthen the immune system; and herbs and aromatherapy to soothe the throat pain.
Home Remedies for Strep Throat - Boosting the Immune System
Herbs and nutritional supplements that can boost the immune system include:
- Echinacea: Research has shown that echinacea strengthens the immune system against bacteria and viruses. Echinacea
increases levels of a chemical in the body called properdin, which activates the part of the immune system responsible for increasing defense mechanisms
against viruses and bacteria.
For synergistic effects, echinacea is best taken together with Goldenseal, another immune-boosting herb. You can get an Echinacea-Goldenseal tincture and
take as directed on the product label.
- Garlic: Garlic supports the immune system and can fight off infections because it contains several helpful compounds. It is both antiviral (for colds)
and antibacterial (for strep throat). Try using garlic in tea as a gargle. Alternatively, you can add one clove of raw garlic
to 2 teaspoons of honey. Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well and take 1 teaspoon two to three times a day.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is anti-inflammatory and supports the immune system function. Taking high doses of Vitamin C (1000 mg 3 to 4 times daily)
at the onset of a sore throat can be effective.
Home Remedies for Strep Throat - Easing the Throat Pain
The following home remedies for strep throat are effective in alleviating throat pain:
Essential oils that are antibacterial are also effective in soothing sore throats and can be used as one of the home remedies for strep throat. Oils that are particularly
beneficial for soothing sore throats include:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV is known to have many medicinal/healing attributes and many people have used ACV to treat sore throat including strep.
Make sure you use the "real thing" (with the mother in it) from a health food store. Dilute one tablespoon of ACV in a glass of water and gargle frequently (every hour if
possible). In addition, add one tablespoon of ACV to a glass of hot water. Add some honey if you prefer and drink it twice daily.
- Chamomile: Warm chamomile tea can relieve irritated membranes. Steep 1 teaspoon dried chamomile in 1 cup of hot water. Strain and let it cool to
lukewarm and gargle as needed.
- Marshmallow: Marshmallow contains a special gelatinous fiber, mucilage, that soothes mucous membranes and helps protect them from bacteria and
inflammation. This herb has been used traditionally to treat sore throat and cough. You can get this herb in tincture or capsule form, or make a tea using three teaspoons of
crumbled root in a cup of boiling water.
You can make a drink by adding 2 drops of lemon oil, and 1 drop of lavender to 2 teaspoons of honey in a cup. Add hot water to it. Inhale the steam, and sip the drink slowly.
You can also use the following oils to massage all over the neck area and behind the ears:
- 5 drops of Chamomile
- 2 drops of Lemon
- 1 drop of Thyme or Peppermint
- Diluted in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil
Strep Throat Signs and Symptoms
Causes of Sore Throat
Duke, J.A. The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook. (St. Martin's Paperbacks, 2002)
Worwood, V.A. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. (New World Library, 1991)
TOP of Home Remedies for Strep Throat
|Top 10 Most Visited Pages